Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Chasers

I think most gamblers loosen up the reins and bet more aggressively when playing with house money. I'm the opposite. When I'm up, I like to exercise caution and nurse my winnings. The flip side of that is I tend to chase my losses. In fact, if you ever see me playing $50 hands of blackjack or reraising all-in on a draw in poker, it's a tell-tale sign that I'm stuck a few bills.

Tonight I lost a $170 pot playing $0.50/$1.00 no-limit. Long story short, all the money went in on the river when I made the nut flush. Unfortunately, the river card also paired the board and my opponent's 2 pair improved to a full house. (How ironic is it that I play cards online after work to unwind?) The bad news was that I dropped my $100 buy-in inside of 10 minutes. The good news was because I busted so early, none of the slate of baseball games had started yet.

Doing some quick research, I saw that Pittsburgh looked like a good play against Houston. This was what I read up on from ESPN.com:

"Paul Maholm is in the process of taking a big step forward. The Pirates left-hander has been very effective since the tail end of May and has notched 17 strikeouts against just two walks in three July starts despite taking the mound against the Yankees, Brewers and Rockies in Coors Field. Maholm has also solved the opposing Astros' biggest threats, allowing sluggers Lance Berkman and Carlos Lee to combine for just five singles in 35 total at-bats."

When I saw he was even money against a rookie converted relief pitcher on the Astros with a 6.28 ERA, I was sold. I liked it so much, I bet it 3 times.

1) Straight Wager 07/22/08 17:54 ET
bet 60.00 to win 57.14 Result: Pending
Pirates(Pittsburgh) Maholm
Astros(Houston) Cassel
07/22/08(20:05 ET)
Pirates(Pittsburgh) -105

2) Straight Wager 07/22/08 18:28 ET
bet 100.00 to win 95.24 Result: Pending
Pirates(Pittsburgh) Maholm
Astros(Houston) Cassel
07/22/08(20:05 ET)
Pirates(Pittsburgh) -105

3)Straight Wager
07/22/08 18:32 ET
bet 250.00 to win 238.10 Result: Pending
Pirates(Pittsburgh) Maholm
Astros(Houston) Cassel
07/22/08(20:05 ET)
Pirates(Pittsburgh) -105

Again, you'll never see me with this ridiculous amount (for me) of money on a single game unless I'm on tilt from a big loss. At last check, things were looking up for me- Pittsburgh was up 8-0 late... and if I end up jinxing them by posting this early, I'll be taking out a home equity line of credit to place a 4 figure bet to chase.

No comments:

Post a Comment